In November, 2016, the GWA phone-surveyed a national sample of coworking spaces (those that identify as coworking spaces, regardless of layout). We called 300 spaces and 85 responded.
- The sample size for this specific data was 80.
- The sample does not include WeWork, Industrious or Regus’ Spaces brand
- The average square feet of the paces sampled is 9,710; the range is 700 square feet to 35,000 square feet
29% of Coworking Spaces Surveyed Report that Private Offices are their Most Popular Offering
If you are in the camp that believes coworking = open plan, our data indicates that is no longer the case. (See our blog post on why we mostly use the term coworking to refer to a variety of flavors of shared workspace.)
- Twenty-nine percent of the 80 coworking spaces surveyed, reported that the private office is their most popular offering with the runner up being dedicated desks (15%).
- Open plan memberships still represent the largest number of members (not necessarily revenue).
- 51.6% reported coworking-like memberships as being their most popular. Spaces had a wide range of names for these options.
- Only 4 spaces reported virtual memberships as being their most popular.
- 81% (Sixty-five out of the Eighty locations surveyed) offer private offices; 15 locations do not.
For more reading on the survey results: